Oh Granny

I think she was perfect. And I am not sure I am wrong.

Her name was Dennie Louise Ingram, then she married my papa at 16 (he was 21) and became a Chadwell. They had 3 girls, my mom was their oldest.

I called her Granny Chadwell, or more specifically... Granny.

She had skin of silk and complection any woman would desire.

Her lips were lipstick lips and done in a perfect shade of red.

She was tall and skinny and wore brown curly purmed hair.

Her hands looked like my mothers but with longer fingers.

She turned her cheek to kiss you, always funny as a child.

She loved my Papa. Their love was one for the story books; full of mystery, romance, family and endurance.

I asked her recently why Papa fell in love with her. Her answer was quick. She had a little rebel and a lot of hard worker in her.

She loved yard work. It kept her busy and healthy. She had a big yard and even more determination to have no sticks left on the ground.

Brown gloves is her trademark. Brown work gloves, found on the porch, in the barn, by the bus, by the fire place... Too big for her hands yet perfectly right.

I was named after her, Denae for Dennie. I loved to ask her who was her favorite..and just recently at her house with my aunts and cousins I asked again. She said me! Lol. I think she knew I was ornery, but would have said it to anyone who asked.

I had the honor of living next to Granny as her renter in GinnyHen's house for a year. She referred to the hill as the "girls on the hill", me, her and Farra. She told me it is what helped her survive that first year without Papa.

January of 2011, I told her I was pregnant. She told me she wasn't sure she would get to meet this grandbaby. She was not sick but 9 months seemed like a long time. She not only met Blaine, she was there to hold him moments after he was born. She also celebrated his 1st birthday and he her 80th birthday.

Blaine entertained her in the last month with hos high energy and outgoing personality. She commented often saying he just keeps going. He reminded her of my oldest brother Chad, her 1st grandson and name sake to my Papa.

She went to meet Jesus on Sunday morning at 5 am. Papa must have met her at the pearly gates and introduced them. It would have been a grand day meeting Jesus, but for me it was a sad day her leaving. I know she is happier, healthier and free. But I miss her. Knowing she is no longer here. No longer on the hill. I can't call her, get a card from her or even kids her cheek. My children will not know her, have a relationship with her, they will miss out just as they will on Papa and their other Great Grandpa Cook.

Wednesday was her funeral where her earthly body was laid to rest next to Papa's and other countless family members. It was beautiful service my cousins, siblings and I put on. We did it all. No outsider who barely knew her...her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. That is how I wasn't to go too. In celebration with those who knew me best telling a legacy of Christ.

God taketh...and he giveth and in both I am blessed.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Wait is On- November 16th

Brain Power

The Neurologist and a Pineal Gland