Purpose in Life

We were at a local and favorite diner a few days ago.  There are only a few tables in the joint, and it is a community sitting most often. There was a gentleman that came in and sat down.  I barely recognized him and asked the Owner of the diner who it was.  I realized it was a man I knew, but each time I saw him, he was typically very drunk.  He is wealthy and well-known for his endeavors, a laid-back man from what I know, and always kind to me.  However, when I asked how he was, he proceeded to tell me he had been in the hospital due to some men attacking him and leaving him for dead.  I was shocked.  I told him I was sorry to hear that and glad he was back on his feet.  I added that God must still have plans for his life since he survived such an ordeal. He joked back that he had never figured out God's purpose for him. 

My youngest, Elijah, overheard the conversation and later brought it back up to me on the way to school. I asked both my boys if they knew what God's purpose for us all was, but they did not know.  I then began to share that God's purpose for everyone is very simple.  It is to Love God and Love Others.  How we go about doing that is our own unique choice, but that is the purpose of our lives. 

The disciples were also originally confused by what Jesus's purpose for them as the chosen ones, but we can see each of them made sure to write down this understanding in their writings.  Yet, he repeated it several times to them.  Sometimes the simplicity of faith is hard to take hold of. 

Luke 10:27 (NLT)

The man answered, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”


Mark 12:30-31 (NLT)

30And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ 31The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.”


Matthew 22:37-41 (NLT)

37Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”


Deuteronomy 6:5 (NLT)

And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength.


1 John 4:7-8 (NLT)

7Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. 8But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.


When I think about my purpose in all that is going on, I remember that I am simply being introduced to more people to love and show love through my own challenging moments.  Anger has no place in this event in my life.  I am created to love.  It is changing me.  Knowing I am going to have brain surgery.  Other surgeries did not alter my thinking and did not bring fears or anxiety like brain surgery does. But when I hold on to love, faith, and hope, all those things fade away. 


There is research on the brain that shows that love comes from the brain. That's one of the reasons why when we are in romantic love, we "fall in love," the hormones literally fall down through our bodies. Love also creates connection, increases memory, and is life-giving to our bodies, just as water and food. I am believing that love will heal and restore my body as well. 


Know you are loved. Know you have purpose. Know you are created with a plan. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wait is On- November 16th

Brain Power

The Neurologist and a Pineal Gland